Our pet grooming service is available Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday by appointment only.
You are welcome to bring your pet to us between 7 and 9am.
Our groomer will be greeting her clients between 8 and 9am before beginning grooming services.
All grooming services include nail trimming. Anal gland expression is performed by our Animal Health Technologists if requested at the time of grooming.
- Clients will be notified by phone when their pet is ready for pick up (usually mid-afternoon).
Your pet may be picked up later in the day if necessary.
- We cannot offer a guarantee for time of completion as time requirements vary per pet. We want to provide you and your pet with the best service possible. Please allow adequate time for your pet's appointment and, if sedation is required, recovery! Your pet's well-being is dependent upon the provision of optimal patient care.
- Cats: $75 (Does not include sedation, physical examination or pre-anesthetic bloodwork).
- Dogs: The cost of grooming a dog is largely dependent upon the size / breed, condition of / type of the coat and the time it takes to complete the task. An estimate will be provided upon request.
Small dogs typically start at $65
* We are presently unable to accommodate large breed or heavy coated dogs due to the health limitations of our groomer.
- Pet's requiring sedation should be fasted after 9pm the evening prior to grooming, water may be given overnight but please do not offer any on the morning of the day they are to be groomed.
A few important points:
- All first-time clients will be required to complete a PPGAM (Professional Pet Groomers Association of Manitoba) waiver.
*** View waiver ***
- All pets admitted to our hospital should have current (within the past 12 months) vaccinations prior to grooming due to potential contagious diseases or infections.
- We require that all pets be in good health and free of infectious diseases. We reserve the right to refuse any animal for grooming that poses a health or safety risk.
- Should your pet require sedation, he/she will be subject to a physical examination if not conducted within the past 12 months. Pre-anesthetic bloodwork is recommended prior to sedation.
Birchwood Pet Grooming now uses the Nagayu C02 Bathing System for pets with problem skin!
From the Nagayu website:
INSTANT STINK FREE & COAT REPAIR
SKIN CARE & ENHANCING RECOVERY
Nail Care: How To Trim Your Pets Nails
Tip: Have some cornstarch ready in case the nail is accidentally trimmed too short and begins to bleed. Apply cornstarch to nail and continue using direct pressure until bleeding ceases (can take several minutes).
ALL STYLES ARE DEPENDENT ON CONDITION OF COAT. IF MATS ARE PRESENT, THE CUT WILL BE SHORTER.
PUPPY CUT (Kennel Cut/Teddy Cut): This style is basically the same cut your dog has but a shorter version. Only dogs that have no mats in their coat can be styled this way. The groomer must be able to comb through every inch of the coat. Most often this cut is about an inch in length.
SPORT CUT: This style is cutting the ENTIRE coat short. This is ideal if your dog is quite matted. Breed specific faces can be done if desired.
SPANIEL CUT: This style is when the groomer leaves the skirt and legging.
SCHNAUZER CUT: This style is when the groomer leaves eyebrows, beard, skirt, and legging.
WHEATEN CUT: This style, similar to the schnauzer cut, is when the groomer leaves longer eyebrows, beard, skirt and legging.
LION CUT (Feline):
The entire body is shaved short, the head (mane), boots and small amount at the end of the tail are left. BILLY is modelling this look and appears quite pleased with the results!